Wednesday, July 28, 2010

MISSING LLAMA! Rainy's Lost in the Mount Hood Wilderness (Part II)

THE SEARCH IS ON: I will be camping this Friday afternoon through Sunday afternoon at Devils Half Acre on the old immigrant trail of Barlow Road, so that I can begin another search for Rainy. Here is a picture of Palmeteer Point From Devils Half Acre where I will be camping. I believe Rainy is somewhere within the vicinity of this picture. Palmeteer Point is the high point to the left in this picture. My thought is that it would be natural for her to gravitate down to this meadow, where there is plenty of grazing grass and water.


PICTURE OF PALMETEER POINT WHERE RAINY WAS LOST: This picture below includes Cher and Fancy Pants on top of Palmeteer Point about the time when Rainy took off in to the forest. It was a beautiful day, even though it was hot. One theory I have is that she was delirious from the heat and lost her awareness of reality. The climb up was arduous and I don't think any of us, man or beast, was prepared for the 90+ temperatures we experienced that day. Normally, Rainy would have stayed on the trail and followed the other llamas, even if she lost sight of them.


HOW TO FIND THE SEARCH CAMP: Devils Half Acre Camp Ground can be easily accessed at Barlow Pass just off of highway 35 (it is also where the Pacific Crest Trail crosses highway 35 and there are signs to designate the trail crossing). Once you make the turn in to the Barlow/PCT turn out you will take the Barlow Road down about a mile and a half to Devils Half Acre. It's a dirt road, but if you go slow most any vehicle can make it. I will be camped right off the Barlow Road. If you come, just look for the burgundy Chevy pickup with a white stock trailer right off the Barlow Road around the Devils Half Acre Camp/Meadow. If you want to help with the search, the best time to come would be any time between Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon. I'll have food and drinks for everyone who shows up to help. But, by all means, please call me before Friday afternoon to let me know, which would help my planning. My cell phone number is: 503-816-4415. But, if you want to just show up, that's OK, too.

No comments: